The role of the Department of Economic Development & Tourism is to assist in economic development for both the public and private sectors of the City of Miramichi and to develop strategies to assist growth in the region. The department works very closely with other Government agencies in the region to promote development in the area. One important component of the department is the active pursuit of companies for establishment in the city.
- Principal policy adviser on business attraction and retention issues; facilitate commercial and industrial growth; help increase tax assessment and employment opportunities.
- Identify available funding programs and manage short and long term special projects as required.
- Act as liaison with and provide guidance to various local economic development partners in order to facilitate a positive relationship that results in the identification of opportunities to attract and to expand existing business or industry.
- Coordinate relevant programs with appropriate branches of the provincial and federal governments.
- Provide the City with a long term planning approach to development to position itself to take advantage of future opportunities. Oversee citywide development projects to ensure projects are implemented in a manner, which maximize benefits and returns to the City. Works to make the City of Miramichi the most developer-friendly city in Canada.
- The role of the tourism division is to coordinate and implement initiatives to promote Miramichi as a tourism destination.
- The principle objective of the tourism division is to increase awareness of Miramichi in the consumer, travel trade, conventions and sport tourism market segments. The target markets are regional – New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island; Quebec; Ontario; and New England States.
- Facilitating the development and/or improvement of tourism products
- Communicating with various tourism stakeholders including the local tourism industry, Miramichi Region Tourism Association, other municipal tourism departments, New Brunswick Tourism, Heritage and Culture and Tourism Industry Association of New Brunswick
- The objectives will be achieved through participation in provincial and local marketing partnerships, attendance at meetings, distribution of tourism literature.
For any inquiries please email